In my search for a non-wheat pizza crust, I experimented with a quinoa base and found it both a fantastic and delicious alternative. Although, quinoa, now a well known super food, can be expensive and requires a longer preparation time. Recently however, I stumbled across a crust made out of cauliflower, eggs and mozzarella cheese.
Personally I still enjoy the classic flour dough base (organic flour of course) but I have a friend or two with wheat intolerance so it’s good to have alternatives. It’s a perfectly painless recipe and in less than an hour you can make a thin, crispy, healthier pizza which is just as tasty as the orignal. Interested? Here’s how it’s done.
The original recipe uses egg and cheese to bind the cauliflower but I replaced the egg with organic flax seeds. Flax seeds are really good for the body; packed with Omega-3 fatty acids, dietary fiber, minerals and much more.
This version is for the classic Margherita but I also love vegetarian toppings such as courgettes, mushrooms, bell peppers, and pineapple. We have our own pizza topping preferences.
Makes two 10″ thin pizza crusts.
1 big head cauliflower (makes 3 cups when grated)
400 grams mozzarella cheese (I prefer fresh if available)
3 tbsps flax seeds (mealed)
9 tbsps water
2 cloves garlic (pressed)
1 Tbsp oregano or mixed herbs
pinch of salt
2 tbsps tomato paste
2 tbsps Olive oil
1. Mix mealed flax seeds and water. Set aside.
2. Remove leaves from cauliflower and pulse until fine. Don’t over pulse or it will turn into a puree
3. You can grate the cauliflower if you don’t have a food processor.
4. Place in a baking dish and cook in the oven for 10 minutes at 160 C.
5. Once cooled, add garlic, herbs, flax mixture and cheese.
6. Combine thoroughly and then divide into two portions.
7. Spread each portion on 10″ pizza tray lined with grease proof paper.
8. Bake for 15 minutes at 180 C until slightly crisp. Then brush top side with tomato paste and bake for another 5 minutes. Don’t over bake the final step is to add your desired toppings then a splash of olive oil. Bake for another 20 minutes or until all toppings are cooked.