In under an hour you can bring to life a batch of this classic French sweet pastry delight. I love making them. They’re so easy, fun, and super yummy. I try to make them as healthy as I can. My dream is to eat an eclair in France whilst sipping coffee in a traditional cafe, watching the world go by. ❤
1 cup organic all purpose flour
1 cup water
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
1/2 cup melted butter
3 Egg yolks beaten, free range/organic if available
3 cups organic milk, if available
1/3 cup organic coconut sugar
1/3 cup organic corn flour
1/4 tbsp organic vanilla (paste/powder)
Pinch of salt
100g Organic dark chocolate 70-90% cocoa solids
50g butter, organic if available
2 tbsps organic coco sugar
1. Melt butter in a pan over a low heat. Once melted, add water. Turn off the heat once it starts to boil and quickly add the flour.
2. Stir until mixture is homogenized.
3. Put back over low to medium heat and constantly stir until the paste doesnt stick to the pan anymore.
4. Remove from heat. Stir for another minute then add the eggs one at a time. Continue stirring until paste becomes glossy.
5. Fill a pastry bag with the choux paste and squeeze out your desired eclair size on a lined baking sheet. I like mine tiny about 4″ in length and 1″ wide.
6. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes at 200C then reduce heat to 150C and continue baking for another 15 minutes.
7. Cool pastry. Fill with vanilla cream. Dip the top side in chocolate ganache then sprinkle with your preferred chopped nuts, I prefer almond. Dessicated coconut is another favorite but feel free to experiment with your preference.
8. Best eaten when chilled and left in the fridge for an hour or so as the allows time for all the wonderful flavors to come together.
9. Now, grab your cuppa and indulge in this super heavenly bite.
Prepare an ice bath to hasten the cooling of the cream, once cooked.
Mix egg yolks with milk. Mix all dry ingredients and slowly pour the milk into it. Stir constantly. Cook over low heat in a saucepan and stir continuosly until gloopy. Turn off heat and immediately put the saucepan into the ice bath and stir continuously until it warms. Put in a bowl or jar and cover with greaseproof paper to avoid a skin forming on the surface. Chill in the fridge until the pastry is ready.
Into a heat proof bowl, snap small pieces of 100g dark chocolate 85% or 90% cocoa content, organic if available. Add 50g grams of butter and 1 tbsp of coconut sugar. Put bowl over a pan with simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesnt touch the water. Thoroughly mix the ganache once ingredients have melted.<<<<<<<